We have moved permanently! Join us @ http://forum.flexraid.com
[Logo] (Closed - visit http://forum.flexraid.com)
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
FlexRAID-View installation instructions  XML
Forum Index » Installation & Tutorials
Brahim

Important: all previous installations of FlexRAID-View must be removed following the instructions posted below.
Also, delete all previous installation folders after the uninstall.

Note: Vista and Window 7 users must temporarily disable User Account Control (UAC) before installing FlexRAID-View.
Visa instructions: http://www.openegg.org/forums/posts/list/166.page
Windows 7 instructions: http://www.openegg.org/forums/posts/list/165.page

• Step 1: Install FlexRAID Host => http://www.openegg.org/forums/posts/list/289.page

• Step 2: Install the FlexRAID CMD (command line) client
    Windows: http://download.openegg.org/release/FlexRAID/Basic/1.0/FlexRAID_Basic_CMD_Client_1.0_final.exe
    Linux: http://download.openegg.org/release/FlexRAID/Basic/1.0/FlexRAID_Basic_CMD_Client_1.0_final.bin

• Step 3: Using the command line client and if not already connected, connect to the host by typing its hostname or IP (use "localhost" if the host is installed on the same machine as the client)

• Step 4: Using the command line client, install FlexRAID-View by invoking the following command: view install.
    If successful, a disk manager service named "FlexRAID Disk Manager" should also be in your list of services and automatically started.

• Step 4: Create your view definition.
    Create a text file named "ViewConfig.txt" and place that file at the root of your install directory.

• View configuration example:

DRIVE: specifies the drive letter you want your FlexRAID-View volume to be on.

UNIQUE: a semi-colon separated list of values specifying your unique volumes (partitions) mount points.
    This is needed so that if you have your drives mounted in folders like (C:\D; C:\E; C:\F), FlexRAID-View could understand that such paths point to unique disk partitions.

RESTRICT: a semi-colon separated list of values specifying the volume(s) to restrict from the space management.
    When a volume is restricted, only data meant for that volume is allowed to be written there.
    If another volume runs out of space, the space from a restricted volume cannot be used.
    For instance, you might want to add your C:\ drive to the view, but you might also want to restrict it so that its free space is not used when another drive runs out of space.

RESERVE: the reserve space should ideally be between 3-5GB (more if the average file you write is larger, less if otherwise, but not less than 2GB).
    FlexRAID will fill all your drives until they each reach the "reserve" space amount before it does a more intricate disk space management.
    It is not necessary to ensure that your disks have this amount of space available.
    This "reserve" will be applied going forward.

THREAD: think of this as the number of highway lanes do want on your FlexRAIDFS.
    A single lane might work just fine in light traffic (with just a few cars on the road) and too many lanes are just wasteful (waste system resources).
    Most users should use a value between 1 and 10 (I have mine at 5).
    Advanced users should do their own benchmarks.

REMOVABLE: whether to create the virtual drive as a fixed drive or as a removable drive

Now, the view definition.

The first view you define has to be the root view (-driveLetter:\).
    After you've defined the root view, you can then define its sub views.

A "-" specifies the containing folder (Ex: -K:\)
    A "|-*" means, merge this path into the containing folder
    A "|-+" means add this path as an element of the containing folder
    A "|-<...>" defines a virtual folder (which is always a child of the containing folder)

A virtual folder only exists through FlexRAID-View and is used to virtually organize your data without cluttering your filesystem.

• Step4: Start FlexRAID-View: view start
    To stop: view stop

• From this point on, you can start and stop FlexRAID-View as you wish.

View example (note: these images need updating - the commands and config were not up to date)

Note 1: Autostart.txt
    If you run FlexRAID as a service, it will automatically start when your system starts.
    If you also want FlexRAID-View to start when FlexRAID starts, create a text file named "Autostart.txt" in the install root directory.
    The content of that file should be a numeric value (time in milliseconds) specifying the delay after which to start FlexRAID-View.
    This is useful to allow your system to fully start and all the necessary services to fully start before FlexRAID-View is started.
    Ideally, you would want this value to be 2000 (in milliseconds) or greater.
    If your view includes network drives and such, you should increase the delay value to allow plenty of time for all the resources to fully initialize before FlexRAID-View is automatically started.

Autostart.txt example:

Note 2: ReconnectShares.txt
    There is a known issue with shares created on the view being lost after you reboot.
    If you share the view or paths contained in the view, you will need to create a file named "ReconnectShares.txt" in the root of the installation directory.
    Do not forget to first configure your shares in Windows Explorer will all the permissions you desire.

ReconnectShares.txt example: (let's say your view is mounted on K:\ and you are sharing K:\ as "MyView", K:\Movies as "Movies", and K:\Music\My Favorite Music as "Favorite Music")

To set user permissions on your shares, you need to pass in the GRANT parameter as follow:

To add multiple share permissions, you can specify multiple GRANT parameters (thanks to Ramshackles )
    Ex:

Note 3: Monitor.txt
    FlexRAID-View now supports directory monitoring. Events are recorded into a log file as they occur.
    The configuration for this file simply consists of defining the paths of the folders to monitor.
    You can specify a friendly name for the generated log file. If a log file name is not specified, FlexRAID-View will auto generate one based on the path name.
    All monitoring log files can be found in the <FlexRAID install root>\Monitored folder.
    Monitor.txt example:

Note 3:
    - When using a script to run the FlexRAID tasks and that script automatically starts and automatically shuts down the host service, make sure that you don't have the AutoStart.txt and ReconnectShares.txt files in the installation directory.

Uninstallation instructions
    If you have installed FlexRAID-View, you must uninstall it before you uninstall FlexRAID.

1. Using the command line client uninstall FlexRAID-View: view uninstall
    2. If you installed FlexRAID as a service, run the "Uninstall Service.bat" in the installation directory (this step will be remove before 1.4 goes final)
    3. Uninstall FlexRAID as usual (from the program menu)
    4. Delete the installation directory completely if it is still there
    5. Reboot your system

Known issues

1. ERROR: Step one install failed! Please follow proper uninstall instructions.
    For quick fix see: http://www.openegg.org/forums/posts/list/30/156.page#1459

2. Help, my network shares are not showing up in my view!
    If your view includes network shares, then you need to run the FlexRAID Host Service under a user that has the following rights:
    - Administrator rights
    - Log on as service right
    - Access right to the network share being mounted

The default setup, which is to run the FlexRAID Host Service under the "Local System Account", does not have network access right; therefore, it won't be able to access the network shares.
    Note: do not change the FlexRAID Disk Manager (it should always run under the "Local System Account").

3. Issues when using a Vista (or higher) client to access a View hosted on a Vista (or higher) host
    The following patches are needed if you have a Vista (or higher) client that needs to access a View that is hosted on a Vista (or higher) host.
    To install the patches:
    Patch 1: patch install view-sys-patch
    Patch 2: patch install view-cl-patch
    To remove the patches:
    Patch 1: patch remove view-sys-patch
    Patch 2: patch remove view-cl-patch
    Note: A reboot is required after installing or uninstalling the patches.

4. Recycle bin needs to be disabled on the View
    It normally happens automatically when you install the View and don't need to do anything.
    If it didn't and you experience weird issues when deleting data, do it manually.

1. Right click the Recycle Bin icon and click “Properties” on the pop-up menu.
    2. Click Global tab and click the option button next to “Configure Drives Independently”.
    3. With this, you can set options for each drive on your system.
    4. Make sure the recycle bin setting for the View is disabled.

5. Auto reconnecting shares configuration issues
    The shared paths and names to be reconnected need to be in double quotes when such paths and names contain space characters.
    E.g.:

Tips:
  • 1. Using virtual folders (ignore if not using virtual folders)
    Data copied to the root of a virtual folder that is not configured to contain a merged element (|-*) will be moved to FlexRAID-View's internal folder structures.
    If you don't want this behavior, always merge your virtual folders to a physical path.
    Again, a merge is represented by |-* whereas an add is represented by |-+.
    The root drive is by default a virtual folder.

Given the view config above:
    - data copied to K:\ (the root of the drive itself) will end up in either D:\, P:\, or R:\ and under FlexRAID-View's internal folder structures only if the mentioned drives run out of space.
    - data copied to K:\My virtual folder will end up in either D:\Data\D2 or D:\Data\D3 and under FlexRAID-View's internal folder structures only if D:\ runs out of space.
    - data copied directly to K:\Data\R0\My other virtual folder, will go under FlexRAID-View's internal folder structures (virtual, but no merged path).
    - data copied to K:\My virtual folder\R0 will go to D:\Data\R0 (the parent folder K:\My virtual folder is virtual but K:\My virtual folder\R0 [the child folder] is not virtual).
    - if the virtual folder named "My empty virtual dir" contained a merged folder, data copied to K:\Data\R0\My other virtual folder\My empty virtual dir would go to that merged folder. However, as configured, the data would go to FlexRAID-View's internal folder structures ("K:\Data\R0\My other virtual folder\My empty virtual dir" is purely virtual).

• This message was edited 23 times. Last update was at 18/06/2011 23:29:16

Server (VMware ESXi): dual Quad 8356@2.4Ghz | ASUS KFN5-D SLI | 16GB (4x 4GB) DDR2 667Mhz ECC REG w/Parity [Chipkill] | Radeon X300 | Intel 160GB SSD (VM datastore) | 6+ TB storage
    File Server VM (running FlexRAID): 512MB RAM | 2 vCPUs | 6TB storage | Parity on 2TB NAS
    grandpatzer2

lets say I have 5harddrives each 1tb.

so I have 4tb DRU and 1tb PPU.
    following this guide, can I make the K drive 4tb storage?
    stigma

Im not an expert in this stuff yet - but yes you can (i know because I just did).

Step1: Set up the RAID as you want it (such as 4x1TB DRUs and 1x1TB PPU) - follow the guide for it if its your first time
    Step2: Set up the 4 DRUs in the Flexview config.

Tada! You now have a virtual 4TB drive with redundancy

-Stigma
    kenny782

Windows 7 doesn't seem to like those patches.

I ran these and rebooted
    patch install view-sys-patch
    patch install view-cl-patch

Things seem to work for a while and I could access the shares.
    After that I lost all access to the machine on the network, all I could do was ping it.
    No file share, printer shares, remote desktop I mean nothing.

After wasting 2 hours on what I thought was a firewall problem I ran "patch remove view-sys-patch".
    And everything came back online. Unfortunately now I can't access my drive over the network again without the patch.

Is this a known issue?Any update in the works?

Thanks,

Kenny

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/06/2010 03:54:11

takagari

this seems like a lot of work to view what is on the drives..

Or is this the only way to make it look like a large drive? If I put data on one of the drives individually it would be updated to be redundant right?

I think I will wait for something more straight forward. seems to easy to break..
    NLS

Well, on my lab VM with W7 x64, it doesn't work.

It's a driver signing issue. I have installed ReadyDrive Plus (btw, maybe you need to update the first post with this info?), I have even tried to MANUALLY boot with "disabled signed driver enforcement", but no go.

UAC is off too and the user is the local admin.

Service installs successfully (and starts), but I get the window pop up that the driver is disabled.

Help?

---
    NLS
    (sorry cannot put my specs on the sig - testing under a few different VMs - will put specific specs when my home-SBS7 is ready)
    Brahim

NLS wrote:Well, on my lab VM with W7 x64, it doesn't work.

It's a driver signing issue. I have installed ReadyDrive Plus (btw, maybe you need to update the first post with this info?), I have even tried to MANUALLY boot with "disabled signed driver enforcement", but no go.

UAC is off too and the user is the local admin.

Service installs successfully (and starts), but I get the window pop up that the driver is disabled.

Help?

Did you install SetupReadyDriverPlus from the link as posted?
    Updated first post. Thanks.

We will need to raise money to get signed drivers.

Server (VMware ESXi): dual Quad 8356@2.4Ghz | ASUS KFN5-D SLI | 16GB (4x 4GB) DDR2 667Mhz ECC REG w/Parity [Chipkill] | Radeon X300 | Intel 160GB SSD (VM datastore) | 6+ TB storage
    File Server VM (running FlexRAID): 512MB RAM | 2 vCPUs | 6TB storage | Parity on 2TB NAS
    NLS

1) Yes I already said so. What should I try next?

2) How much?

---
    NLS
    (sorry cannot put my specs on the sig - testing under a few different VMs - will put specific specs when my home-SBS7 is ready)
    Brahim

NLS wrote:1) Yes I already said so. What should I try next?

2) How much?

1. No idea. It worked fine for my Win7 64 bit VM.
    If the driver is being blocked, then you must have a service pack/ security patch is that is now blocking SetupDriverReadyPlus.
    I will have to look more into it.

2. Well, Verisign does it for $499/year (rip off ).
    However, I think I found another company that issues them for $99 per year, but they seem to support Windows 7 and up only (not XP 64 bit or W2k3 64 bit).
    I could be wrong and would have to look more into it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/09/2010 10:59:46

Smurf-IV

[Avatar]

2) How much?

Perhaps it's time to look at how PeerBlocker did it.. They are still free, and had to go through the phase of getting their driver's signed..
    [WWW]
    NLS

Indeed...

---
    NLS
    NLS

Again, since this pretty much freezes my whole testing... What should I try next?

Is it possible that ignoring drivers' signing somehow... is erm, ignored because the machine is virtual?

It's pretty clean setup with all win updates. Not even office or an antivirus.

---
    NLS
    Brahim

NLS wrote:Again, since this pretty much freezes my whole testing... What should I try next?

Is it possible that ignoring drivers' signing somehow... is erm, ignored because the machine is virtual?

It's pretty clean setup with all win updates. Not even office or an antivirus.

I think one of the updates might be blocking the workaround.
    That would not be the first time.
    There was a previous workaround that was blocked after a service pack.
    That when SetupReadyDriverPlus came into the picture.

On my Win7 64 bit system running under VMware, it works.
    Outside of that, I guess you have to wait for a signed driver.

Stoertebeker

Brahim wrote:

2) How much?

1. No idea. It worked fine for my Win7 64 bit VM.
    If the driver is being blocked, then you must have a service pack/ security patch is that is now blocking SetupDriverReadyPlus.
    I will have to look more into it.

here, i got one window telling me that the driver is not signed, but after installing SetupReadyDriverPlus (with default settings) and rebooting my system (Win7 Enterprise, x64) all went fine (FRView in read-only mode). Ahh and my system is not a VM.
    NLS

(&^*(*&(*^%&^%&%$ what is going wrong with my system them

---
    NLS
    ShiftyPowers

idiot question coming through but which directory does this go into?

Is it a) the root of the system (i.e. C:\) or b) the install directory for HOST or c) the install directory for the CMD client or d) somewhere else?

HTPC: Core2Duo E7400@2.1Ghz | Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 | Nvidia G210 | 320GB HD | 3x1TB flexRAID array | Win7 64-bit
    MainRig: HackPro | Core i7-930@2.8Ghz | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 | Radeon 5770 | 500GB Samsung HD | OS X 10.6.5
    Brahim

ShiftyPowers wrote:idiot question coming through but which directory does this go into?

Is it a) the root of the system (i.e. C:\) or b) the install directory for HOST or c) the install directory for the CMD client or d) somewhere else?

FlexRAID Host root installation directory (E.g., C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenEgg.org\FlexRAID Basic Host Service 1.4).

ShiftyPowers

Thanks Brahim. That worked. I have successfully created a master drive (VIEW) that contains my DRU drives in it. Quick question though, can I add the drive that I assigned as a PPU to the VIEW as well or will that screw something up?

So this is my ViewConfig.txt right now

I want to add H:\ which I set up as a PPU so that I have one master directory that I can use called K:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/09/2010 13:15:26

HTPC: Core2Duo E7400@2.1Ghz | Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 | Nvidia G210 | 320GB HD | 3x1TB flexRAID array | Win7 64-bit
    MainRig: HackPro | Core i7-930@2.8Ghz | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 | Radeon 5770 | 500GB Samsung HD | OS X 10.6.5
    Brahim

ShiftyPowers wrote:Thanks Brahim. That worked. I have successfully created a master drive (VIEW) that contains my DRU drives in it. Quick question though, can I add the drive that I assigned as a PPU to the VIEW as well or will that screw something up?

Sure you can, but I just don't see the use.
    As long as you have a good use for it, go ahead.

ShiftyPowers

I've created a Autostart.txt but my view refuses to start upon a reboot of the server. is there anything I need to do other than put an Autostart.txt in the root folder of HOST and give it a value of say 5000 ms?

Forum Index » Installation & Tutorials
    Go to: