We have moved permanently! Join us @ http://forum.flexraid.com
[Logo] (Closed - visit http://forum.flexraid.com)
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
I need a basic working (tested) example of a storagepool with automerge - please!  XML
Forum Index » Issues/Bug Report
stigma

Hey all,

Could someone please provide me with a tested-to-work example of just a simple storage-pool with automerge?

Here is what I have tried so far:
- OS is windows 7 x64
- installed (2.0 preview 8 )
- configuring via webUI
- add new config
- storage pool only - create
- open storagepool "test1" to configure it
- unique volumes set to E:\;F:\;G:\ (and save) - all 3 drives are completely empty (reformated) to start.
- configuration set to only:
-------------------------
-V:\
|-*Auto-Balanced-Space-Priority
-------------------------
(as pr example on wiki)
- everything else left as default
- save config
- publish and start

V pops up and has the right size (3x200GB) as expected
I now copy a folder "music" to it with a few gigs of mp3s
I also make a folder named "test" and fill it with a few gigs of random files for good measure

At this point however, 2 major problems arise:
(1) - The data is not actually automerged. Al the data land on E: - Even if I try filling V with more data than is availiable on E: it fills E: to the max, and then starts filling F:
(2) - when I try to delete the folders I previous copiedto V, they do not disappear (deleting gives no error. the folder just does not disappear). After deleting it once, it seems that the files are gone, but the whole directory structure still remains (both visible on V: and E: directly). Trying to access these folders gives me a "location not available" error. Trying to delete them again does nothing (no error, nothing happens as far as I can tell).

Obviously, these problems (especially point 2) makes this storage pool unusable in practice.
I really need someone to provide a concrete example of a working setup that I can work from.
Hope someone can help.

UPDATE1:
I have confirmed that the problems with deleting folders also happen when using a simple excplicit config:
------------------
|-*E:\
|-*F:\
|-*G:\
------------------

I have also confirmed that it happens even with empty folders (these seem to disappear, but reappear whenever you next refresh (F5) the explorer window).
The folders are also accessible and un-deletable if you go into the drive itself to find them (F: in my case). Actually the only way I have found to be able to clear them is to reformat the drive.

UPDATE2: I scanned over the bug-database, and I guess I have found the reason for this happening.
"Deleting Folders through the view leaves an empty Folder"
this seems to have been reported multiple times and has severity-status "major" , so I guess FlexView is just bugged and we just have to wait for it to be corrected.

This does not explain why auto-merge (space priority) does not correctly distribute the data over the drives however, and I can not see any other bugreport covering this issue. Should I bugreport it?

-Stigma

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 29/05/2011 15:08:51

Brahim

Did you mark any of the drives as restricted?

I looked at the code and can't really see yet why the space balancing feature would not work.
If you could post the content of the generated ViewConfig.txt file in the root installation directory, that would be helpful.

Server (VMware ESXi): dual Quad 8356@2.4Ghz | ASUS KFN5-D SLI | 16GB (4x 4GB) DDR2 667Mhz ECC REG w/Parity [Chipkill] | Radeon X300 | Intel 160GB SSD (VM datastore) | 6+ TB storage
File Server VM (running FlexRAID): 512MB RAM | 2 vCPUs | 6TB storage | Parity on 2TB NAS
stigma

Brahim wrote:Did you mark any of the drives as restricted?

I looked at the code and can't really see yet why the space balancing feature would not work.
If you could post the content of the generated ViewConfig.txt file in the root installation directory, that would be helpful.

No drives were set as restricted. Everything was left as default unless specified in the instructions above.
Here is a copypaste of the viewconfig.txt

---------------------
unique=E:\;F:\;G:\
restrict=
thread=5
bufferSize=1MB
reserve=10GB
removable=true

|-*Auto-Balanced-Space-Priority
----------------------

EDIT: re-ran the test now with ca 9GB of data just to be sure (since I had to make a new config to get the viewconfig.txt ) All of the data landed on E as before.

Hope that helps. Let me know what else I can do to assist.
-Stigma

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 31/05/2011 10:23:46

keithd

Does this bug affect everyone using "Auto-Balanced-Space-Priority" mode, or just some configurations?

And if/when the bug is fixed, I think I can just move files out of the storage pool and back in, and FlexRAID View should automatically balance out the drives?

I just installed 2.0r12 recently. I used 1.4 before, and the interface is much nicer!

P4 dual-core 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, recycled Dell motherboard, Intel Gigabit PCI-e NIC, 1x320GB OS disk, 5x2TB storage+parity

Forum Index » Issues/Bug Report
Go to: