We have moved permanently! Join us @ http://forum.flexraid.com
[Logo] (Closed - visit http://forum.flexraid.com)
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Storage Pool - So Confused - Adding network resources  XML
Forum Index » Installation & Tutorials
stryguy

Running FlexRaid Preview Build 12R2 (FlexRaid 2.0)

To my storage pool I'm trying to add network resources, as in drives off a second computer. For the life of me I cannot find how to do this, what's the correct syntax for the "Unique Volumes" to add network drives?

My 2nd question is, although I have Auto Space-Priority selected the system has written every to 1 drive so far. It hasn't saved anything to my other drives in my storage pool. I have a 1tb and a 2tb in the pool in my physical computer, the resulting flexraid drive is the appropriate 3tb. So far it's written 800gb to the 1 - 1TB drive. I thought it would balance between the 2?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Brahim

1. It is recommended that you map your network shares to drive letters. If you can't, then the alternative is explained here: http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/04/03/flexraid-preference-settings/

2. http://bug.flexraid.com/view.php?id=51

Server (VMware ESXi): dual Quad 8356@2.4Ghz | ASUS KFN5-D SLI | 16GB (4x 4GB) DDR2 667Mhz ECC REG w/Parity [Chipkill] | Radeon X300 | Intel 160GB SSD (VM datastore) | 6+ TB storage
File Server VM (running FlexRAID): 512MB RAM | 2 vCPUs | 6TB storage | Parity on 2TB NAS
stryguy

Ok, So I first tried mapping the shares and giving them drive letters. FlexRaid RaidEngine never listed the drive letters, even after reboots. So I added them to the "External Network Shares" and they show up in the Raid Engine just fine.

Storage pool, however, is not working. If I add one of the mapped drive letters to the Unique Volumes my total pool space actually decreases to an amount less than the total space of my drives in the physical machine.

I can't seem to find any way to add the drives listed in "External Network Shares"

Sorry if I'm being a pain, I'm really hoping to get this to work.
stryguy

It seems where ever in my list of Unique Volumes I add a network drive (Say T:\ for example) it stops adding disk space at that point.
Brahim

stryguy wrote:It seems where ever in my list of Unique Volumes I add a network drive (Say T:\ for example) it stops adding disk space at that point.

That means, the FlexRAID service is running under a user account that does not have permission to access those shares.
Search the wiki for info on that topic.
Note that you can also enter UNC path for the storage pool unique paths configuration.

Server (VMware ESXi): dual Quad 8356@2.4Ghz | ASUS KFN5-D SLI | 16GB (4x 4GB) DDR2 667Mhz ECC REG w/Parity [Chipkill] | Radeon X300 | Intel 160GB SSD (VM datastore) | 6+ TB storage
File Server VM (running FlexRAID): 512MB RAM | 2 vCPUs | 6TB storage | Parity on 2TB NAS
stryguy

I switched the service over to my main account that is able to connect to the network shares without being prompted for a password. Added T:\ to the unique paths and still, nothing.

I tried the unc path.. nothing.

Does it support UNC pathing with username /password? If so is it \\machinename\share@username:pass
stryguy

So as a test I added 1 local drive as a DRU and 1 Remote drive as a PPU. The raid engine was able to write the parity to the remote drive with no problems.

Storage Pooling still is unable to access the share, however.

Looking at version 1.4 it looks like you could create a storage pool using the raid engine alone. (maybe I mis-read). Is there a way to just avoid using the "storage pool" selection and just give the raid I created a drive letter?

I'm sure some of this is my own ability but I'm on day #2 at trying to get this to work and I'm getting a little burned out.
Brahim

stryguy wrote:So as a test I added 1 local drive as a DRU and 1 Remote drive as a PPU. The raid engine was able to write the parity to the remote drive with no problems.

Storage Pooling still is unable to access the share, however.

Looking at version 1.4 it looks like you could create a storage pool using the raid engine alone. (maybe I mis-read). Is there a way to just avoid using the "storage pool" selection and just give the raid I created a drive letter?

I'm sure some of this is my own ability but I'm on day #2 at trying to get this to work and I'm getting a little burned out.

Post screenshots of your configuration.

stryguy

I got it working! I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 and reinstalling FlexRaid. Then it worked fine using the UNC paths. Who's to know what I did differently this time but it works and now there's no looking back.

Thanks again for you patience and advice.
Brahim

stryguy wrote:I got it working! I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 and reinstalling FlexRaid. Then it worked fine using the UNC paths. Who's to know what I did differently this time but it works and now there's no looking back.

Thanks again for you patience and advice.

It was probably overkill to have to re-install the OS (or maybe not depending on the real issue), but glad it works now.

Forum Index » Installation & Tutorials
Go to: